Wednesday, October 1, 2008



I would lead you and bring you to my mother's house— she who has taught me. I would give you spiced wine to drink, the nectar of my pomegranates. His left arm is under my head and his right arm embraces me. Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires. (Song of Songs 8:2-4)

St. John of the Cross writes from the Lover's perspective:

The bride has entered
the sweet garden of her desire,
and she rests in delight,
laying her neck
on the gentle arms of her Beloved.

How do we experience such shared bliss?

We are charged not to arouse - literally open the eyes - or awaken - more literally to excite or stir up - love until love itself is ready, ripe, bending down as a fruit tree bends downs with fruit ready to be plucked.

We do not cultivate, we do not cause, we do not inculcate love. We receive when love is ready.

Until now love has been dowd. This is a love of which Ezekiel writes, "Then I passed by you and saw you, and behold, you were at the time for love; so I spread My skirt over you and covered your nakedness." It is a sudden sexuality.

Here love becomes 'ahabah. This is the love of which Genesis tells, "So Jacob served seven years for Rachel and they seemed to him but a few days because of his love for her." It is a patient and continuing engagement.

We do not pursue. We do not seduce. But we can be attentive and ready to receive.

Above from the Rothschild Canticle. In the top register, men and women dance in a secular setting. In the middle register, Christ welcomes into Heaven five Wise Virgins who are crowned, hold flaming lamps, and stand on crenellated battlements. In the lowest register, five Foolish Virgins are barred from entering and a demon topples them with a halbert.

No comments: