Friday, August 22, 2008

Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest is my lover among the young men. I delight to sit in his shade, and his fruit is sweet to my taste. He has taken me to the banquet hall, and his banner over me is love. Strengthen me with raisins, refresh me with apples, for I am faint with love. (Song of Songs 3: 3-5)

The Beloved sings of her Lover.

She is ecstatic. She is outside herself. She is transfixed by her Lover.

In John Dryden's final tragedy the hero, Cleomenes, encounters his lost Beloved and pronounces,

Thus let me grow again to thee,
Too close for fate to sever!
Or let death find me in these dear, dear arms;
And, looking on thee, spare my better part,
And take me willing hence.

To which his mother responds, "What! are you dreaming, son, with eyes cast upwards, Like a mad prophet in an ecstasy?"

The source of ecstacy - human or divine - can be difficult to know.

No comments: