Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My lover is mine and I am his; he browses among the lilies. Until the day breaks and the shadows flee, turn, my lover, and be like a gazelle or like a young stag on the rugged hills. (Song of Songs 2:16-17)

The Beloved sings. Once again she compares her Lover to a gazelle or young stag.

My wife and I live next to a mountain meadow. In early morning deer - usually does and an occasional faun - will appear sliding gracefully through the grass.

When they emerge from the woods or over the hill we give our full attention. Even after twenty years here their appearance compels.

A few weeks ago - for the first time we can recall - a young stag approached. It was cautious and quickly continued on its way.

The appearance of the deer is unpredictable. The stag was a real surprise. This is much of what captures our attention and appreciation.

Yet when we encounter love - human or divine - we are so often tempted to domesticate it.

No comments: