Friday, September 12, 2008

Awake, north wind, and come, south wind! Blow on my garden, that its fragrance may spread abroad. Let my lover come into his garden and taste its choice fruits. (Song of Songs 4:16)

The Beloved responds.

The Lover had compared the Beloved to a locked garden. The Beloved invites - even commands - the Lover within.

A sexual meaning is easy, but the meaning in this consumation is not so clear.

St. John of the Cross offers his own metaphor within the metaphor.

In the inner wine cellar
I drank of my Beloved, and, when I went abroad
through all this valley
I no longer knew anything,
and lost the herd that I was following.

There he gave me his breast;
there he taught me a sweet and living knowledge;
and I gave myself to him,
keeping nothing back;
there I promised to be his bride.

Now I occupy my soul
and all my energy in his service;
I no longer tend the herd,
nor have I any other work
now that my every act is love.

From the Cantico Espiritual (Spiritual Canticle) by St. John of the Cross

No comments: