Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The watchmen found me as they made their rounds in the city. They beat me, they bruised me; they took away my cloak, those watchmen of the walls! (Song of Songs 5:7)

As the Beloved searches for her Lover she is hurt and abused.

Some have speculated that the approach of the watchmen explains the sudden departure of the Lover. This would reinforce the sense of an illicit love affair.

The Hebrew translated as watchmen is shamar. This is a verb. A more literal translation would read, "those watching, keeping, protecting, caring.

"Made their rounds" is cabab. This is another verb meaning turn, go about, change direction, surround, enclose.

City is by far the most common translation of 'iyr, which is a place that is watched. But it can also mean any place of excitement or anguish.

More meaningful for me might be, "My caution and turning made a place of anguish. I was hurt, bruised, and stripped by caution and confusion."

No comments: