Tuesday, September 16, 2008



I arose to open for my lover, and my hands dripped with myrrh, my fingers with flowing myrrh, on the handles of the lock. I opened for my lover, but my lover had left; he was gone. My heart sank at his departure. I looked for him but did not find him. I called him but he did not answer. (Song of Songs 5:5-6)

There is the suggestion of self-indulgence. Myrrh was worth its weight in gold. The Beloved is dripping in it.

Self-indulgence is not the purpose of love nor will it lead to love. It is common to perceive love as self-fulfilling. Depending on what is meant, this can be a serious misunderstanding.

Love is fulfilling but its alchemy is self-transforming. Rather than self-indulgent, Love is more often self-giving.

Above is from the Rothschild Canticle. Mary stands with her arms raised, a moon between her feet, and a blazing sun with the face of the incarnate sun hanging before her abdomen.

No comments: